New/Returning Fraternity & Sorority
Rutgers University recognizes a strong Greek community is a constructive element of student life. The University also recognizes that the community must be adequate so as to provide opportunities for every student who has the desire and means to join.
In overseeing this process of orderly expansion, there must be substantial evidence of the ability of the proposed organization to contribute to the Greek community, and to conduct itself in a manner consistent with OFSA principles and policies.
To insure that fraternities and sororities desiring to be registered at Rutgers possess those qualifications deemed necessary for their success and for the continued health of the Rutgers Greek community, the following standards and procedures have been established.
Fraternities/sororities wishing to become registered student organizations at Rutgers University must meet the following criteria:
The organization must be affiliated with a parent organization that must show proof of 15 consecutive years of business operations and have undergraduate chartered chapters at fifteen (15) or more colleges/universities at the time of application.
- The organization must be affiliated with a parent organization that must show proof of 15 consecutive years of business operations and have undergraduate chartered chapters at fifteen (15) or more colleges/universities at the time of application.
- The organization must have policies that are congruent with the fraternity/sorority policies of Rutgers University. Policy information can be found on the OFSA web page (greeklife.rutgers.edu) in the Chapter Resources section.
- The organization must be able to send professional staff or elected volunteers to campus to conduct the Key Components of the new chapter’s creation (see Expectations for Newly Recognized Chapters).
- The organization must be able to assemble, train and support a 3 – 5 person chapter advisory team.
- The organization must show proof of General Liability insurance for bodily injury and property damage with a minimum of $1,000,000 in Combined Single Limit. The General Liability insurance must include Host Liquor Liability.Â The General Liability insurance policy must name “Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey” as an additional insured and the certificate must state that the insurance coverage is primary over other collectible insurance.
1. Applications must be obtained from the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs.
2. The deadline to submit a registration application is June 1st.